We want our offices to be spaces that promote associate health and wellbeing while reducing our impact on the environment. Our focus is to continually reduce our energy usage. We’ve also focused on reducing single-use paper and plastic while increasing recycling.
Data centers demand a lot of electricity. Our focus is to reduce electricity usage in all aspects of our data center operation including cooling, lighting, and server utilization. We also focus on reducing hazardous waste by recycling our electronic equipment.
Reducing electricity usage
Lowered energy demand with data center cooling improvements
In one data center alone, we installed frequency drives on two of our chillers that reduced energy consumption by 20% for each machine. We also replaced five data center cooling units with energy efficient units which reduce power consumption by 10% per unit, and replaced an existing cooling tower with a more efficient model for a projected energy savings of 15%.
Reducing electronic waste
68,812 lbs of solid waste saved from landfill
We sent thousands of pounds of electronic equipment for responsible recycling. This not only reduced landfill, it also saved 17,155 lbs. of hazardous waste from entering the environment and reduced 24.09 tons of total carbon.
Reducing office waste
63% reduction in the volume of waste in Leeds UK office
We removed paper coffee cups and plastic lids and replaced plastic consumables in our Leeds, UK building café with compostable alternatives. In addition, a new waste stream provider segregates 40% of the general waste for recycling, and the remaining 60% is incinerated locally — with the generated energy going into the national power grid. Compost waste is sent to a local anaerobic digestion plant where gases collected from the process are turned into energy. The compost itself goes to local farmland.