Credit Freeze Exemptions
We understand you have some questions about freeze exceptions, and we want to give you some more information. Your credit report may be released for any of the following reasons, or to the following parties, even if there is a freeze in place:
- Companies that have a current – or in some cases, prior – financial relationship with you. This could include reviewing your account for maintenance, monitoring, increasing credit lines, account upgrades and enhancements, or collecting the financial obligation owed.
- Any Federal, State, or local agency, law enforcement agency, trial court, or private collection agency acting pursuant to a court order, warrant, or subpoena
- A child support agency acting pursuant to part D of title IV of the Social Security Act
- A Federal agency or a State or its agents or assigns acting to investigate fraud or acting to investigate or collect delinquent taxes or unpaid court orders or to fulfill any of its other statutory responsibilities, provided such responsibilities are consistent with a permissible purpose under section 604 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- By a person using credit information for the prescreen purpose described under section 604(c) of the FCRA. Also, see the Note at the bottom of this letter.
- Any person or entity administering a credit file monitoring subscription or similar service to which you have subscribed
- Any person or entity for the purpose of providing you with a copy of your consumer report or credit score, upon your request
- Any person using the information in connection with the underwriting of insurance
- Any person using the information for employment, tenant, or background screening purposes
- Any person using the information for assessing, verifying, or authenticating a consumer’s identity for purposes other than the granting of credit, or for investigating or preventing actual or potential fraud
Note: You have the right to limit “prescreened” offers of credit and insurance you get based on information in your credit report. If you want your name and address removed from prescreen mailing lists obtained from the major credit reporting companies – TransUnion, Equifax, Experian and Innovis, you may contact us at www.optoutprescreen.com or 888-5-OPT-OUT (888-567-8688).
To view a summary of your rights under the FCRA, please visit www.transunion.com/legal/bill-of-rights/federal.
Still have questions? Go to www.transunion.com/credit-freeze where we share a list of Frequently Asked Questions that will hopefully address any outstanding concerns.