Dispute Support Center

Browse our dispute FAQs below.

Credit Dispute


What is a dispute?

If you see an item on your credit report that you think is inaccurate, you can start a “dispute” and the credit reporting agency (such as TransUnion) will investigate the possible inaccuracy.

Are disputes free?

Absolutely. Disputes are 100% free.

What is the difference between a hard and soft inquiry?

A soft inquiry will not affect your credit score. For example, checking your personal credit report will result in a soft inquiry. A hard inquiry can be seen by creditors who pull your credit report, and may impact your credit score. For example, if you apply for a mortgage, you will most likely see a hard inquiry on your credit report from the mortgage company. Both hard and soft inquiries remain on a credit report for a two-year period.

I disputed an account and it says it was already verified. What does that mean?

It means we already investigated the item(s) you are disputing, and the company who provided the information to TransUnion told us the information on your credit report was correct. If you have documents to support your dispute, you can submit your request again online, with the supporting documents, and we will be happy to investigate the item(s) again. Examples of supporting documents might be a letter from the creditor or courthouse, billing statement, letter from the IRS, canceled check or money order showing payment, etc. You may also want to contact the company you hold the account with directly to make the update. Or, you can add a statement of 100 words or less to your credit file.

Why is my employment information incorrect?

Employment information is typically reported from applications for credit. This information is generally not used by credit grantors or employers in making their decisions, but it is typically used for demographic purposes. You can update your employment information online through the TransUnion Service Center. Start a dispute and click the “Add” button next to employment history.

You can also start a dispute by phone or mail.

My credit report contains another person’s information, how can I fix it?

If you believe your credit report has been mixed up with another person’s credit report, please follow the dispute process to notify us. You should also:

  • Check your credit report with the other bureaus to ensure they are accurate, and check your reports annually to ensure accuracy.
  • Identify all of the information that doesn’t belong to you, which could include accounts, addresses and other identification information.
  • Ensure that your personal identification information is complete and includes your full name, date of birth, Social Security Number and complete address.

If you believe that the incorrect information may belong to a family member, be sure to let us know during the dispute process.

My credit report mistakenly reports me as deceased, how can I fix it?

If you’ve mistakenly been reported as deceased on your TransUnion credit report, please call us and we’ll help get this resolved right away.

You can also submit a dispute online to notify us about this error.

Why can't I dispute my credit score?

There are many different scoring models used to determine a score from the information in your credit report at the time you check it. Credit history information in your credit report, including the number of inquiries, outstanding balances, number of accounts, age of accounts, etc., is considered when calculating the score. As the information in your credit report changes, your score may changes. For that reason, we are unable to accept a dispute regarding your credit score. We can, however, investigate the information on your TransUnion Credit Report if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete.

For more information on credit scores, check out our blog.

Note: TransUnion does not make credit decisions, and does not maintain information on how a specific creditor uses a score, or even which scoring model they use. You can contact the creditor directly to discuss how your score was used.

What does a typical dispute investigation process look like?

The investigation process includes three steps:

  1. You submit an investigation request (dispute). If you believe that an item contained in your TransUnion credit report is inaccurate or needs updating, send TransUnion a request for investigation or request to change information. You can start your investigation online. You can also submit a dispute by phone or mail.
  2. TransUnion contacts the creditor for verification. After TransUnion receives your request, we will either contact the creditor for verification or change the information directly if it does not require verification.
  3. The creditor returns verification and TransUnion completes the process. Once the creditor returns verification, we will revise or delete the information in your credit report if it is inaccurate.

No change will be made if the creditor verifies its accuracy. In either case, TransUnion will send you a summary of the investigation results and, if applicable, a revised copy of your TransUnion credit report.

If our investigation has not resolved your dispute, you may add a 100-word statement to your report. If you provide a consumer statement that contains medical information related to service providers or medical procedures, then you expressly consent to TransUnion including this information in every credit report we issue about you. If you wish to obtain documentation or written verification concerning your accounts, please contact your creditors directly. You may also request a description of how we conducted the investigation or file a complaint about TransUnion or the business reporting the disputed information with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or your state’s attorney general’s office.

I’m a veteran and have a medical debt I don’t think I’m responsible for. What should I do?

As of May 24, 2019, medical debt that should be covered by Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) medical benefits are not to be included on consumer credit reports. We encourage you to call the VA at (877)-881-7618 if you have outstanding medical debt that you think is the responsibility of the VA, and the staff will work with you to find a resolution.

If you see medical debt on your TransUnion credit report you think is the responsibility of the VA, go online to start a dispute. Be sure to upload a copy of your VA Health Identification Card (VHIC) and/or a copy of a letter from the VA describing the adverse credit report and TransUnion will investigate.

What’s the difference between a credit bureau and a creditor?

A credit bureau, or credit reporting agency, usually refers to a company that collects consumer data, like TransUnion. A creditor (sometimes called a data provider) is a company that extends credit to you, such as an auto loan company or a credit card company.

Is disputing something on my TransUnion credit report through Credit Karma the same as disputing directly with TransUnion?

Yes. When you dispute through Credit Karma, they will send us your dispute and we will start an investigation.

How do I get information that was previously removed added back onto my TransUnion credit report?

If personal information or an account were previously removed from your TransUnion credit report, but you later determine that information should show up on your credit report again, follow the instructions below.

Personal Information:

  • To re-add a phone number or employer, contact us.
  • To re-add other personal information such as a name or address, mail current documents that show the information you want to add. Get more detailed instructions here.


  • To re-add an account, ask the lender or company that manages the account to contact TransUnion to see if the account is eligible to be re-reported or reinserted to your credit report.
  • To manage a consumer statement on your credit report, please use our online dispute process.

What is a consumer statement? How do I add one to my credit report?

Every person has a unique financial story, and a consumer statement is an opportunity to tell yours. You can add this note to your credit report to explain your financial situation to anyone who views your credit report.

We provide several pre-worded options that you can choose from or you can write your own statement in your own words. Please note: If you decide to add any personal or medical information, anyone who views your credit report will be able to see it.

If you think adding a consumer statement is the right option for you, simply follow these instructions:

  • Sign in to the TransUnion Service Center. If you don't have an account, you can create one for free.
  • When you're signed in, click "Dispute" at the top of the screen and scroll down to the Manage Your Consumer Statement section.
  • Click "Manage My Statement" and then choose one of the provided consumer statement options or write your own statement in 1000 characters or less.
  • Add an expiration date for your statement and then click "Save & Continue".

If you later decide you want to add to or delete your consumer statement, sign in to the TransUnion Service Center to remove it.


Can I dispute an inquiry?

If you see an inquiry on your credit report from a company you don’t recognize, we recommend you contact the company that placed the inquiry and ask them why — it could be someone else made an application in your name.  If that happened, you can ask the company to send a letter directly to TransUnion at the address below, requesting the inquiry be deleted. Or, if you have information that the inquiry was made fraudulently, you can mail that information to us directly. Please note there isn’t a way to do this online.

Can I dispute a collection charge?

Yes, you can dispute a collection charge and then we’ll start an investigation.

Can I dispute credit card debt?

If you think there is an inaccuracy with the information reported from a credit card company, you can dispute and we’ll start an investigation.

Can I dispute an address?

Yes. If you see an address on your credit report that never belonged to you, you can dispute it online to remove it. After you log in, select “New Investigation” and then “Edit Addresses.” You can also start a dispute by phone or mail if you prefer.

To add a new address to your credit report, you need to mail in supporting documents to make that change. You can learn more here.

Can I add supporting documents to my dispute?

Absolutely. Before you submit your dispute online, you will be given the option to attach supporting documents. You don’t need to have supporting documents to submit a dispute, so this step is optional.

If you choose to add documents, please consider the following:

  • Generally, documents sufficient to support your dispute are from a relevant source (such as a court or a lender), and include specific details that support the change you are requesting. An example of a helpful document is a statement that shows an account has been paid off and closed.
  • Documents should be JPG, JPEG, PDF or TIFF file types. There should only be letters and numbers in the file name. You can upload up to five (5) documents, no more than 5 MB in total size. 

We don't currently support online document uploads for public records disputes like bankruptcy or updates to personal information such as Social Security number, date of birth, name and address. If you need to provide supporting documents for either type of dispute, please file your dispute request by phone or mail.

Will my credit score go down if I dispute?

Don’t worry, there’s no impact to your credit score because you start a dispute. However, if your dispute results in items being changed or removed from your credit report, your score may change due to that.

How do I dispute an item on my credit report?

If you think there is something inaccurate on your credit report, you can easily dispute online. Find more information on disputes and learn how to get started here

You can also dispute by phone or mail.

Can I dispute by mail?

Absolutely. To complete a dispute by mail, provide as much of the following information as possible:

  • Your name
  • Partial account number of the disputed item (from your credit report)
  • Current address
  • Your TransUnion file number (if you have one)
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Name of company that reported the item you’re disputing (from your credit report)
  • Reason for your dispute (not your account; you have paid the account, etc.)
  • Any corrections to your personal information (address, phone number, etc.)

Send your documents to:
TransUnion Consumer Solutions
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016-2000

Please note: We accept either standard or certified mail.

Once your mail is received, it can take up to 30 days to resolve your dispute.

Can creditors access my credit report if I have an open dispute?

An open dispute does not block creditors from accessing your credit report. 

I have TransUnion Credit Monitoring. Can I dispute when I login into my account?

Of course. Log in to your account and you can start a dispute from your dashboard.

Can I save my dispute selections or document attachments and come back later?

You need to complete your entire dispute transaction in one session. If you start your dispute request but can’t finish it in a single session, go to the “Review” page and print off your selections so you can add them more easily later.

What if I have more than 5 documents I want to include with my dispute?

You can only upload a maximum of 5 documents with your dispute. Choose the documents that are most relevant to your dispute and are from an authoritative source (such as a lender or court).

Is there a mobile app for dispute?

Not at this time, but you can access the TransUnion Service Center using your mobile device.

Can I dispute more than one item at once?

Yes, you can add more items as many times as you need to before you submit your dispute.

Can I dispute my Social Security number, date of birth or current name/address?

Yes, but this type of dispute can’t be submitted online. For security reasons, some personal information disputes require supporting documents that must be sent to TransUnion via postal mail. Get instructions for disputing by mail here.

I’m a survivor of human trafficking. How do I submit a request to remove adverse information from my TransUnion credit report?

To request the removal of adverse information from your TransUnion credit report, take the following steps: 

  • Prepare a letter to TransUnion that identifies the adverse items of information that are on your credit report as a result of the trafficking. 
  • Gather one proof of identity document and one trafficking victim determination document. Visit our Human Trafficking Survivor Resources page for a list of acceptable documents. 
  • Submit your letter and copies of your documents to TransUnion by mail or online. Our Human Trafficking Survivor Resources page has more details on each step and contact information. 
    • If you need additional help, you can call us at 833-982-4057 on Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–7 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding holidays.         


How long does it take to get the results of my dispute?

Dispute investigations can take up to 30 days.

Will I receive updates during the dispute process?

We won’t send you updates, but you can log in to the TransUnion Service Center to check the status of your dispute on your own any time you want. 

Can I place a credit freeze, credit lock or fraud alert if I am currently disputing something on my credit report?

Yes, you can add a credit freeze, credit lock or fraud alert to your credit report as you normally would while we work on the investigation.

Can I start a dispute while I have a current dispute being investigated?

You can only have one dispute investigation open at a time, but it can contain as many items as you need to dispute.

How do I cancel a dispute?

If you started a dispute less than 15 days ago, you can cancel your dispute by calling us at 800-916-8800 Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-11 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Eastern Time. If you submitted a dispute online, you can't make changes to it online. If you started a dispute more than 15 days ago, you will have to wait for the response from the creditor your dispute was with. If your dispute has already been completed, there is no way to cancel it. 


What happens if the creditor does not respond within the required time?

If the creditor does not respond within 30 days, TransUnion will delete the information from your credit report.

Why did the disputed item not come off my credit report?

If a dispute investigation shows that an item is accurate, TransUnion will continue to show that item in your credit report. Read our blog to learn more about what to do if you don't agree with your dispute results.

Can I see the correspondence my creditor sent to you about my account?

No, but we provide you with the creditor’s name, address and telephone number to enable you to request written verification or documentation directly from them.

What if I submit more than one dispute at the same time?

We will investigate all of the items in question during the same time period. At the conclusion of the investigation, you will receive a report reflecting all of the results. Please allow 5 – 7 business days following the completion of our investigation for mail delivery. If you entered your dispute online, you will be notified via email and can view the results of the investigation immediately.


What is identity theft, and how can I protect myself from it?

Identity theft is a serious crime where your personal information — anything from your name, driver’s license or Social Security Number — has been hijacked by an imposter to commit fraud in your name. You’re the first line of defense when it comes to protecting your identity. Check your credit reports and financial accounts regularly for any suspicious activity. You can get your credit report here for free weekly through 2022 from all three credit reporting agencies. Set up transaction alerts if your bank offers them to notify you of all account activity. Finally, consider adding a fraud alert or credit freeze. For more information, check out our Identity Theft Resources.

What should I do if the inquiries on my credit report are from fraudulent activity?

If you believe you have an inquiry on your credit report as a result of fraud, contact the lender directly to ask them about the inquiry. If they find it was made in error, ask them to inform the credit reporting agencies. If it was made fraudulently, contact the TransUnion Fraud Department. In addition, we recommend freezing your credit report to limit access to it. You may also want to check out these resources from identitytheft.gov.

Where do I begin if I’ve been a victim of fraud?

Identity theft is a serious crime, but we’re here to help you through it. Contact the TransUnion Fraud Department for guidance on steps toward fraud resolution.

You can also:


What You Need to Know:

The credit scores provided are based on the VantageScore® 3.0 model. Lenders use a variety of credit scores and are likely to use a credit score different from VantageScore® 3.0 to assess your creditworthiness.

Subscription price is $29.95 per month (plus tax where applicable). Cancel anytime.